Chez Toast or Toast Haus

Toast is the most from coast to coast - and this is his Blog! You'll be witness to various insignificant musings. Please take them all with a grain of salt... or curry.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Banning gay marriage
I got the following chain letter through myspace today. ..
-----------------------------------------------------

Gay Marriage Ban in Wisconsin
This was written by Scott Hayes:

So I've always been a good citizen. I'm a responsible driver, I work full time. I am an asset to the economy, both local and national. I don't litter or pollute. I like to say hello to strangers, and hold doors for little old ladies at walmart and sentry. I put out carved pumpkins for the kids to look at for Halloween, and I decorate for Christmas. I am fully insured, and I have a good job.

I'm a trainer at a sales facility. Every two weeks, we hire 20-40 new employees who sit through MY two week training program. The people that come through my door are your neighbors. They are your sons, your daughters. They are your Mothers and Fathers. They are your uncles, and aunts, nephews and neices. They are your best friends, and your loved ones. I am very good at my job. I strive to inspire. I yearn to 'grow' people (as my role model calls it.) After my two week coarse all of these people come to room and pay me visits, and bring me pictures, and little cards. They like me. They appreciate that I tried so hard to teach them a new skill, while my faith and trust in them never faltered.

Never once have these people to go through my room been stinted in growth because I am homosexual. Never has someone quit my class because I'm gay.

I've always held a certain faith for the people of Wisconsin. I've always had a love within my heart for this beautiful and misunderstood state that I call home.

I really thought as the day went on today, that we would rise to the occasion, that we would make history. That we would vote NO on todays amendment. Today, I thought Wisconsin would make me proud.

Today, Wisconsin passed the amendment. Today, we voted to legally provide for ignorance and discrimination.

Today, I lost my faith in Wisconsin.

I never asked to be gay you know. I fought like hell all through my teenage years to fight it. It led me to depression and drug use in my younger days. People who think that certain people wake up one day and say to themselves "Hmm... What can I do to make life more difficult?"... are very poorly informed.

I am gay and I was born that way.

I am in love with my boyfriend Chris. I have considered asking him to marry me in the future. We like to joke around with each other. I feel sick when I'm not around him. We have both agreed that we each feel more complete with the other.

We don't even flaunt our love in public. We don't tell children to do what we do.

We do not have aids. We do not sleep with many anonymous partners.

I work and am beneficial to my local economy and provide a service to society.

He strives very hard every day in classes to earn a degree. He has been on the deans list.

We are good people and we are in love. Love knows no bounds...Until now. If him and I ever want to be married, a ceremony endeared to and by so many, we have to leave the state we call home and live elsewhere.

I will take my skills and leave. He will take his degree and leave.

You know, I'm a human being. My name is Scott Hayes. I'm 23. I live in Whitewater, WI. I love my parents, and they love me. I have two cats. Their names are Maxwell and Chase Kitty.

It is now legal to discriminate me. As normal as anyone else. I now apparently am a second rate citizen. I should advertise my sexual orientation on all of my clothes so that children can walk on the other side of the street.

Today Wisconsin, you have made me feel very small. I will not feel ashamed to tell you that I shed a few tears tonight.

You have made yourselves heard. And never fear... As soon as I have the means, I will leave.

I want to be the best person I can be, and I want to contribute to life and society. I want to do a good job. I want to be nice to people.

I do not wish anylonger to do these things in Wisconsin. You folks just lost yourself a darn good person.

You turned your back on me Wisconsin. After everything I've done. Even donated so much to charities, and participated in so many charitable events. You turned YOUR back on ME.

For the rest of my time here in this state, I turn MY back on YOU!

***If you agree with my words, or at least feel for me, please copy and repaste this as a new bulletin. Please put your name on the bottom, and don't change the subject line. I would really appreciate it. This isn't your average chain bulletin. The only thing that will happen if you don't repost this, is that I will lose just a bit more faith in our society. That's all. I guess my opinion doesn't matter anyway.

And please, if you don't agree, I don't need you to reply personally to me to tell me that. Your kind made your voices loud and heard today already. I know what you think of me.

Truly Disillusioned,
Scott Hayes
- rest of names snipped for space -

----------------------------------------------------


here is my reply and my thoughts on the matter - like anyone really cares... :)
--------------------------------
Sorry Bro, can't sign it :(

I support a ban on gay marriage. I do not discriminate against homosexuality but I think that state recongized marriage should be confined to what is traditionally and physically "normal". In my opinion, if you are gay, that's your business. But, you don't get "special" rights just BECAUSE you are gay. You get the same rights as the rest of us - no more, no less. The law (as well as societal tradition) states that the union of marriage is between a man and woman. Doesn't mean you can't live together in such a fashion should you choose to. It just means that it's not endorsed by the state and therefore sanctioned by taxpayer dollars.

People think that banning gay marriage is discrimination against homosexuals. I disagree. I think banning gay marriage is nothing short of a refusal to amend the current system and make exceptions for gay marriage. Like I said, basic human rights are not being infringed upon by this. Nobody is saying you can't call yourself married... you just don't get the blessing of the state...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home