Chez Toast or Toast Haus

Toast is the most from coast to coast - and this is his Blog! You'll be witness to various insignificant musings. Please take them all with a grain of salt... or curry.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

A couple weeks back I tracked down an old buddy of mine named Vince. He and I were pals back in 1983-84 (freshmen in high school) when I lived in San Pedro, CA. We were both Atari 8-bit computer buffs and used to share software (back before you needed file sharing software to do such things). We were into computing before it was hip. I had always wondered what happened to him after I left and we lost touch by the end of high school.

Well, I used to make periodic searches on classmates.com or other sites to see if I could track him down but never had any luck. I googled his name and recently got a hit. His name was listed as a contributor to some pdf document put out by the public works department of Los Angeles. I spent about an hour coming up with every iteration of a possible email address for him and finally, after sending about 20 emails only to have them returned undeliverable, I sent one that never came back. A couple days later, I got a reply and it was the same Vince I had known all those years ago.

It's been great fun catching up with him and reliving some of fun we had. San Pedro is a pretty neat little microcosm of a town as far as Los Angeles goes. It's a port town and has a long history of immigrant dock workers and long shoremen. There's probably as many polish and slavs in that area as there are any other area in the country. Lots of mixed ethnicity which made for tons of great places to eat.

Well, our dicussion finally came around to my favorite doughnut place of all time. A little ma and pa joint called "Granny's Doughnuts". I used to go in there at every opportunity and order what I have since referred to as a culinary pastry perfection. This masterpiece is known to the locals as a "Granny's Supreme". It's a 5 inch or so rectangular folded doughnut pastry with a cinnamony apple pie filling topped with crumblies and slathered in a sweet glaze... I get giddy just thinking about it.

When I mentioned Granny's to Vince, it got him craving a visit (he doesn't live in San Pedro any longer but doesn't live too far). While he had fond memories of another one of their doughnuts, he seemed to remember the one I described. So this evening, I get an email from him with a couple attached pictures. I open up the first one and it's a picture of the outside of Granny's. The little stinker let his craving get the best of him... he went there. He went there tonight!



There was another attached photo. He had mentioned that he had driven by Best Buy to see how many people were camped out for the new Playstation III. So, naturally, I think that it'll be a picture of the crowd. Nope... not only did this torturing evil fiend go to Granny's Doughnuts, he ordered (and I assume ate) a Granny's Supreme... and sent me a picture! ARRRRGGGG!



As if knowing that Granny's still exists wasn't bad enough. As if knowing that Vince had gone there this very night wasn't worse! Seriously though, it looks as good as I remember and I am sure he enjoyed every delicious bite - that bastard!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Toast said…

    yeah, it's a beast. Might even be 6 inches long. I said five to keep my excitment level in check... 6 inches would just be too much to handle.

    Certainly a comfort food. I honestly think this doughnut is where my cinnomon roll/apple pie thing started.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home