Chez Toast or Toast Haus

Toast is the most from coast to coast - and this is his Blog! You'll be witness to various insignificant musings. Please take them all with a grain of salt... or curry.

Friday, May 25, 2007

I was seven years old. My family and I had just returned from being stationed in Okinawa, Japan for three years and we were visiting relatives in southern Ohio (Wheelersburg to be exact).

Dad decided to go see a movie and wanted me to go with him. He told me it was called "Star Wars" but I didn't know what to think about it as I'd not heard of it. I thought it was going to be a war movie of some sort. This was likely, being in a military family and such.

As the opening crawl came up, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away..." I began to read along to myself. Dad must not have thought that I could keep up and so he was leaning in my ear and reading to me as the words turned into sentences and the sentences into paragraphs. I was keeping up on my own, though just barely, and if I'd stopped long enough to tell Dad that I could do it on my own, I surely lose my place.

As the crawl disappeared and the starfield descended, he leaned back into his chair. A small spaceship appeared and the laser blasts ensued. A faint murmur of "Cooool..." went through the audience. However, that murmur heighteded in intensity immediately as the gigantic star destroyer began to scroll across the screen. Dad shifted in his seat and said aloud (speaking aloud in a movie theater was frowned upon in my household... remember those days?) "Alllll RIIIIIIIIGHT!"



I don't remember much more about the movie that night. Naturally I was blown away and probably talked about it non-stop on the way home. However, whenever I watch that scene, I always think about Dad's exclamation, thirty years ago.

Thanks Dad. I wonder if you knew just how big a part of my life that one evening's father & son outing to the movies would become...? I doubt I had any idea at the time either.

Happy Anniversary Star Wars!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It feels a little weird not being at Celebration. I've read a few reports and it doesn't look like we're missing anything spectacular.

    Long live the Empire.

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Toast said…

    Yeah, while I would agree that it is probably more of the same and that doing CII and CIII probably was enough, I agree it feels a little bit strange not being there. Kind of hollow.

    I would hope they got many of the "bugs" that plagued earlier ones worked out though.

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fun comment ... one of my earliest memories is of Darth Vader entering the blockade runner. Man what a moment!

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Bev said…

    Yeah, I was thinking of you, Matt, and Adam this past week. I almost emailed you all some pictures. Maybe I still will.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home