Chez Toast or Toast Haus

Toast is the most from coast to coast - and this is his Blog! You'll be witness to various insignificant musings. Please take them all with a grain of salt... or curry.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Patriot Guard Riders

Tomorrow I am going on my first Patriot Guard Riders Honor Mission for the funeral of U.S. Army CPT Hayes Clayton who was killed by an IED on Christmas day. He is being buried in Marietta. Frankly, I'm a bit nervous. I don't do well at funerals and I don't do well when it comes to fallen soldiers. Probably the hardest cry sessions I've ever had have been regarding American soldiers killed in action. Just ask the guy who went with me to Normandy for the 60th Anniversary of D-Day a few years ago - I was a mess.

Well, this will be a little different in that the family will be there grieving. In Normandy, just the white marble crosses broke me up - how will I be able to handle this? I fully expect to break down but I feel compelled to go anyway, even though it will likely mess me up for a few days. I know that the whack-minded protesters who protest at soldier's funerals ( http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html ) are not planning to attend. They are the reason the Patriot Guard Riders were formed ( http://www.patriotguard.org/ ) and even though protesters don't always come, the riders show up anyway to honor our war dead. I can't think of a more personal way to pay respect to their memories and support the families they left behind than to go on one of these rides. But I can sure think of a lot less emotional ways to do it... I better bring tissues.

Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home