Chez Toast or Toast Haus

Toast is the most from coast to coast - and this is his Blog! You'll be witness to various insignificant musings. Please take them all with a grain of salt... or curry.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Randomness

Well, finals are over. I got A's in both of my classes. That makes 4 straight A's in a row over the last two semesters. I don't think I've had 4 in a row since maybe 6th grade. Pretty weird. Hopefully, now that my cumulative GPA will be above 3.0, I can get some of that HOPE Scholarship money that everyone else seems to get (for non-Georgia people, it's the scholarship that's funded by the Georgia Lottery). We'll see how it goes. It won't cover my entire college plans, but it might buy be a handful of semesters which is never a bad thing.

Christmas is coming. I'm not ready. I've not decorated or really gotten any shopping done. Nor have I done my annual Christmas Newsletter/Anti-Snowmen Militia Intelligence Report, and I don't even have any Christmas cards to stuff them in. This time of year, they are all pretty well picked over too...

I sort of have a new job. About 6 weeks ago, I was moved into a slightly different department which changed my responsibilities quite a bit. Initially I was unhappy about it but after a few weeks I really gelled with it. Frankly, it's been the best time I've had at work for quite a few years. Sadly though, they are going to outsource those duties to an outside company in the coming months which means I'll be moving into yet another position. Kinda frustrating but having this little taste has proven something to me...

The job I do now, puts me back out into direct contact with the users doing field support work. For years I've driven a desk and been isolated somewhat from interaction with the end user. I had really forgotten how much I missed the "service" side of this business. Everything I did before was behind the scenes and if done correctly, the users wouldn't even know it had been done. Now, I get direct contact with them. I walk in, find out their problem, fix it, and walk out. I get to see the result of my efforts. Besides that, I'm a social creature, so being in a perpetual state of "Meet and Greet" is great fun.

But, now that this position is going away, I'll be put back into a behind the scenes role again. Bummer. BUT, like I said, it did prove one thing to me. A few days ago, I got a Christmas card from my mom. She said how proud she was of me for going back to school. And that she always knew that "God created me to work with people and not machines." She's always been puzzled by my career choice. Honestly, once the novelty of it wore off, so have I. But, now that I've had a taste of doing the "people" thing again, it's driven home to me that I am on the right track by going back to school and hopefully teaching history someday. Can't get much more direct contact than that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home